Message Taught By Pastor Sophia Okunowo on the 18th of August 2019
The difference between church and other gatherings is that the presence of God is here
Scripture Reading: 2 Samuel 13
The 4 key characters well be looking from this scripture is Amnon, Tamar, Absalom and David
Amnon was in love with his half sister, but he had a friend.. And this friend gave him an advise. And this was the beginning of his downfall.
The Character of Amnon
- The devil set him up for destruction.
- He had a desire for his half sister, he was obsessed to the the point that he was sick.
- He was no lean that his friend even noticed and gave him an advise.
- He allowed his appetite to destroy him. Don’t allow your desires to control you.
- Don’t allow yourself to be obsessed or overwhelmed with our desires
- Don’t be controlled by your desires, instead be controlled by the Holy Spirit
- Amnon gave room to the devil. It all began with a thought and Amnon did not deal with that thought and it led to his destruction.
The Character of Tamar
- She was innocent, unsuspecting
- It is not what happens to us in life that matters, it is how we respond to what happens to us that matters.
- Tamar’s story changed at that instance, an event happened in her life that marked a turning point, how did she respond to what happened?
- 2 Samuel 13:20 – Tamar remained “desolate” in her brother Absalom’s house.
- She allowed that event to mark a stop, to mark an end in her life. She didn’t know how to turn her grieve to the balm of Gilead.
- As believers we should learn to turn whatever pain is going on in our lives to God.
- Learn to forgive.
- Be careful of what you listen to, the devil tries to whisper thoughts into our minds.
- There is NOTHING that happens to us in life, that the blood of Jesus cannot wash away. There is a balm in Gilead.
- Whatever grieve or pain we have, learn to bring it to God. Forgive!!!
- She allowed the event to end her life. You don’t have to let that event end your life.
The Character of Absalom
- Like Absalom he also had royal blood.
- He was an avenger, a defender, he hated injustice.
- Every character that we have and we don’t submit to God’s leadership , the devil has fhe ability to manipulate it so we end up destroying ourselves.
- Absalom meditate on that pain and injustice and allowed it to overwhelm him to the extent that he committed murder.
- Learn to forgive every hurt, whether it is hurt towards us or other people.
- Forgiving is not excusing the other persons wrong doing.
The character of David
- David was a man after God’s heart, but he also had flaws.
- One of his weakness was that he was not a good father. It was not recorded anywhere that he did anything about the incident between Amnon and Tamar.
- Don’t keep quiet about any issue in your life. God expects us to do something about your insecurities, about your fears.
- He didn’t correct Amnon,
- The weakness we refuse to deal with will climb with us unto greatness and will be our undoing
- Deal with EVERY ISSUE.
- Time and silence will not make our issues go away, we deal with them by bringing it to God.
- Whatever issue we have in our life, we should learn to bring it to God.
- Our redemption is complete and total. The blood reaches to the deepest depths and inner crevices of our hearts and cleanses us.
- Psalm 102:7 – let the redeemed of the Lord say so
- You have to be able to declare it. That I have been redeemed, you have to boldly say it in the face of the devil and you friends that “I have been redeemed”
- Let your voice be loud because the blood that redeemed you, redeemed you completely.
- God loved us so much that he didn’t die for us in secret.
- Don’t let the devil keep you in guilt, don’t let him keep you down.
We’re sure you were blessed by this message, if you are around Ibadan we would love to have you in our midst, our service times are:
Sundays 8:00 am and Wednesdays 6:00 pm
Shouts of Grace Center, Joke Plaza beside Trans Amusement Park, Bodija-UI Road